|Job Code :
Reports to : Regional Director
Date Last Edited : 6/30/2017
Provide a brief description as to the primary purpose of this job (no more than three to five sentences):
The National Director is responsible for the fulfillment of Compassion International’s mission through five distinct roles within their country/geographical area. Their roles are, external representative of Compassion, oversite leader for their country/geographic region, strategic program leadership, marketing collaboration and responsibility for understanding and utilizing appropriate support services necessary to meet Compassion’s mission. He/she provides overall spiritual leadership while translating strategy into program effectiveness, supporting marketing efforts, and having ultimate accountability for the performance and integrity of the country/geographic area.
Essential Job Functions
List five to eight essential job functions that comprise the job; describe in terms of actions (verbs) and desired outcomes in order of most important first:
- Maintains a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Is a consistent witness for Jesus Christ, maintains a courteous, Christ-like attitude in dealing with people within and outside of Compassion, and faithfully upholds Compassion’s ministry in prayer.
- Acts as an advocate for children – raising the awareness of the needs, neglect, nurture, and potential of children in poverty and challenging and enabling those within one’s influence to greater involvement and effectiveness on behalf of children.
- External Representative of Compassion: acts as the legal representative to government, represents Compassion in developing and managing relationships with external stakeholders, donors, suppliers etc. Extends Compassion’s impact and sphere of influence by forming strategic relationships with governmental and non-governmental organizations. Works with local boards (as applicable) to ensure our ministry is working in an effective and ethical manner.
- Staff Leadership: communicates a compelling vision for Compassion’s ministry in alignment with the corporate mission. Models and promotes Compassion’s global cultural behaviors (incorporating local standards) and provides spiritual leadership. Manages and leads towards ministry outcomes by being accountable for the work and performance of their staff. Responsible to help foster cross functional relationships, so as to further Compassion’s effectiveness. Motivates field staff toward full engagement and effectiveness and ensures staff development programs are implemented.
- Strategic Program Leadership: Leads an in-geography growth & opportunity strategy that reflects Global Program, GME & GSS objectives. Oversees the establishment of relationships with Implementing Church Partner’s (ICPs) and affiliate churches that share Compassion’s vision. Responsible for ensuring the development of strong local church partnerships within and outside of our child sponsorship model. Promotes a strong sponsor/donor engagement mindset with ICPs to help increase the visibility of the church and its role for the sponsor/donor. Responsible for local resource mobilization strategy.
- Program Monitoring & Evaluation Responsibility: Works with Regional Program staff to ensure program’s strategic objectives and outcomes are fully accomplished and meet expected technical quality standards within the geography of responsibility. Oversee Program’s monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning systems using data analysis as the basis for measuring performance. Ensure that monitoring and evaluation is incorporated into evolving program plans including the delivery of quality training and technical assistance to local church partners.
- Country/Geographic Operations: Legally responsible for employment relationships of all staff in country/geographic area, regardless of reporting structure. Works with line management as necessary and appropriate on any required personnel action. Accountable for budgeting, legal compliance and corporate policy compliance.
- Support Services: Provides ongoing feedback to ensure services are meeting expectations and the support provided enables the achievement of strategic objectives.
- Marketing: collaborates with marketing to ensure the strategic direction and execution of the country or geographic area is achieved. Depending on the context, will be responsible to help guide some marketing tasks/initiatives.
Functional Job Competencies
Competencies are underlying characteristics of an individual (skills, traits, proficiencies, attributes, and behaviors) that contribute to distinguished performance; list those functional competencies that are imperative to the success of this position (see list below):
- Mature Evangelical Christian who is above reproach in integrity and honesty. Able to demonstrate a strong history of spiritual leadership and service in the church. Record of advocating for and serving the poor.
- A proven leadership style which is consistent with Compassion’s culture and beliefs. Ability to inspire, disciple and coach others into the full exercise of their gifts.
- The ability to build relationships and liaise with others both within and outside the organization, leading and participating in internal and external networks.
- The ability to persuade or convince others to support an idea, agenda or direction. Understanding of who the other stakeholders and decision makers are and how to influence them towards desired results.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and planning abilities.
- Adaptability mindset.
- The ability to develop positive and trusting intercultural and interdenominational relationships.
- Knowledge of local non-governmental organizations and evangelical networks.
- Effective communicator, both written and verbal, in languages relevant to the country as well as English.
- Strong Cross Cultural leadership skills.
List minimum requirements to be considered for this position:
- Has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in relevant field; Advanced degree preferred.
- Experience: 5 years of management experience at a level sufficient to lead the equivalent of a $7-8 million business. Experience leading Cross-Culturally.
- Certifications/Licensing: N/A
- Other Required Skills: Language relevant to the country or geographic area and English
All Compassion employees are expected to maintain the four primary values:
- INTEGRITY: “Conduct yourself in a manner worthy of the Gospel of Christ” (Philippians 1:27)
- EXCELLENCE: “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord” (Colossians 3:23)
- STEWARDSHIP: “The Earth is the Lord’s and all that is in it” (Psalm 24:1)
- DIGNITY: “God created man in His own image” (Genesis 1:27)
List general working conditions for this position:
- Working Environment: Office
- Physical Demands:
- Travel Requirements: